If you haven’t already noticed, I did something to really screw up the iTunes feed. I think it happened when I switched to Feedburner to handle my feed. Apparently that broke the old feed, I guess. So, please check your iTunes application, if you use it, to see if it lists the latest episodes. If not, I think that I have fixed things and you can re-subscribe via iTunes by clicking here or by clicking on the logo in the “subscribe with iTunes” section in the sidebar. Personally, I find iTunes very frustrating to use so I tend not to notice these things when they break. I want to thank The Scarborough Dude for bringing the issue to my attention (although it was him that suggested that I add a subscribe in iTunes link in the first place resulting in my eventual insanity! )
Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully, it all works smoothly now. I promise not to tinker any more… at least for a while.